Here are a few things we?ve heard about on the EC scene ?
Here are a few things we’ve heard about on the EC scene …
CONGRATULATIONS & KUDOS …
▪ Lee Glaser is the new integrated marketing associate for the Emerald Coast Convention & Visitors Bureau.
▪ Kay Phelan, Marcia Hull and Valeria Lento were each honored as a Communicator of the Year by the Northwest Florida Coast Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) for 2011. Tracy Louthain, with the South Walton Tourist Development Council, won several accolades, including the coveted FPRA Grand All Image Award.
▪ Alys Beach welcomes Kerri Price as marketing coordinator.
▪ Hard Rock Café celebrates its 40th anniversary, while Bud & Alley’s in Seaside marks 25 years as the best place to watch the sun set.
▪ The City of Destin has been named in the Top 25 U.S. Destinations by Travelers’ Choice 2011 on tripadvisor.com and one of the “10 Best Places to Live & Boat” by Boating Magazine.
▪ Three members of the Fort Walton Beach Medical Center were recently awarded the Frist Humanitarian Award, the highest honor an employee, physician and volunteer can receive from HCA, the medical center’s parent company. This year’s honors go to Jeanine Robinson, a respiratory therapist; Dr. Joseph Siefker, an ENT physician and surgeon; and Carol Koch, an active member of the hospital auxiliary.
▪ Neely Butler and Tara Paulin open Teeley’s retail boutique in Seacrest.
▪ Tammy’s Tours in Fort Walton Beach is taking 25 locals to Fashion Week, Sept. 9–12. The $999 round-trip excursion from Pensacola includes the option to add on Fashion Week events, Broadway shows, “Sex and the City” tours and more.
▪ The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint smoked the competition at the National BBQ Association’s 2011 Convention held in Greenville, S.C. The Shed brought home 18 awards. They are most proud of the one they received for their Shed Spred Sweet Southern Sauce, which took first place among a field of 240 entries. They also won first place gold for founder Brad Orrison’s invention of the RoboHog, a stand that allows a hog to be smoked in a standing position, which makes for a beautiful presentation.
▪ SunQuest Cruises was recently selected as a Best of Wedding Reception Venue for North Florida in 2010 by theknot.com. This is the second consecutive year that SunQuest Cruises has received this honor.
NEW NEWS …
▪ Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort has added yet another attraction to its Adventure Zone. Standing 40 feet tall is the Climbing Tower, which allows two people to climb at the same time.
▪ The Sacred Heart Cancer Center broke ground in April on a new building at Mack Bayou Center in Santa Rosa Beach that will house outpatient treatment services and offices for cancer specialists. The expanded center will provide more than double the space of existing offices on the campus of Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. The cancer center will occupy the first floor of the new building, expected to open in early 2012.
▪ Howard Group, a real estate development company specializing in premier commercial, hospitality and residential developments, has announced an agreement with Charter Capital to expand within Grand Boulevard at Sandestin. A private wealth management company with more than 50 years of combined experience, Charter Capital plans to serve its clientele and expand its services in a new 2,500-square-foot office.
Conerly, Bowman & Dykes, LLP
▪ With more than 50 years of real estate law and title insurance experience, Conerly, Bowman & Dykes, LLP, voted Best Law Firm by EC magazine readers in 2010, is proud to announce the opening of Attorneys’ Title at Regatta Commons.
NEW NAMES …
▪ Emerald Coast AdFed is changing its name to AAF Emerald Coast. Along with the rebrand are plans for a new Facebook page, sponsorship opportunities, after-hour events, a revamped website and a redesigned eNewsletter.
▪ The Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council is shifting to a new moniker: South Walton Tourist Development Council.